The Federal Government has given its seven-person committee a deadline to conclude renegotiations of the 2009 Agreements reached with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The committee which is chaired by Emeritus Professor Nimi Briggs, pro-Chancellor, Alex Ekweme Federal University Ndufu-Alike, has three months to conclude the renegotiation with ASUU.
Other members are Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Wukari, Arc. Lawrence Patrick Ngbale, who represents North East; Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Birnin Kebbi, Prof. Funmi Togunu-Bickersteth, representing South West and Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Lokoja, Senator Chris Adighije, representing South East.
READ ALSO :
- FG has no funds to meet ASUU’s demands – Ngige
- Strike: ASUU says no Resumption until Implementation of 2009 Agreement
Also on the team are Pro-Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Prof. Olu Obafemi from North-Central; Pro-Chancellor, Kano State University of Science & Technology, Prof. Zubairu Iliyasu, representing North West; and Pro-Chancellor, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Mathew Seiyefa from South-South.
The committee is expected to review the draft proposed FGN/ASUU Agreement, and has the following Terms of Reference:
- a. Liaise and consult with relevant stakeholders to finalise the position of the Federal Government to the issues in the draft proposed FGN/ASUU Renegotiated Agreement;
- b. Renegotiate in realistic and workable terms the 2009 Agreements with other university-based unions;
- c. Negotiate and recommend any other issue the committee deems relevant to reposition the NUS for global competitiveness; and
- d. Submit proposed draft agreements within three (3) months from the date of inauguration.